Blog Caption

Blog Caption

October 1, 2014

Breast Cancer Awareness Cookies and Diet

The month of October is known for many things...
Breast Cancer Awareness being one of them...
I'm sure we all can think of at least one person 
who has been affected by this awful disease...
As I mentioned yesterday...
I've become slightly obsessed with food ingredients...
Seriously, you need like a doctorate in bio-chemical engineering
to decipher what is in the food we eat...
I never really thought much about it...
It's in there because it has to be...right?
WRONG!  
Most packaged food 
(you know...the inside aisles of the grocery...the ones they tell you to avoid...)
is laden with chemicals that are toxic and genetically modified (GMO's)...
The more I read the more I can't believe...
Did you know that the american staple, macaroni & cheese
is required to have a warning label in England that says
"consuming this may cause ADHD in children"...
Many pesticides and chemical ingredients that the United States allows to go in/on our food is banned by most European countries because of it being harmful...
Can all this be a cause of cancer?
Absolutely...
We are all familiar with the adage "You are what you eat"...
It's true...
We can even take it a step further...
"You are what you eat eats"
How's that for a mind boggler?
Really, I think we all know the above to be true...
It's common sense...
Eat organic fruits, veges & meats...
Is it easy?
Nope...not when you have things like Oreos staring you in the face...
Am I perfect?
Nope...I wish!
I struggle every single day with this...
I thought I'd share my breakfast (and many times lunch too)...
A green smoothie...
Start with...are you ready...
(all organic and/or non GMO)
spinach, kale, strawberries, banana, avocado, apple, almond butter, almond milk, pumpkin puree, white sweet potato (from the night before), apple cider vinegar...
I change this up depending upon what I have...
sometimes no sweet potato...sometimes add carrots...etc.
Throw it all in to the blender in no particular order...
(I can't wait to get a new blender)...
And mix it up...
My little blender is old & cheap 
so sometimes I have to help it by stirring with a spoon while it's on...
When it's all combined, pour it into your favorite cup...
Get a spoonful of Chia Seeds and eat them (yes I eat them plain like this)...
washing them down with the smoothie...
Then I get 2 spoonfuls of ground Flax and do the same...
Note...I only eat the flax & chia at breakfast...
And voila'...breakfast and lunch of champions...
Filling and extremely good for you...
What do you think?

Post a Comment