Blog Caption

Blog Caption

February 18, 2013

Your Worth

I hear and read a lot from my favorite, inspirational bloggers
about charging what you're worth...
I've taken it in but haven't really thought to much about it until now...
I truly love my job...
I'm a baker, an artist, a designer all wrapped into one...
And for some reason God has laid it on my heart 
to revisit the idea of charging what you're worth...
As much as I adore what I do, it is no longer just a hobby...
but a job that provides income to help pay the bills for my family...
And as I was working yesterday for 7 hours straight with no break...
giving each sweet treat my full attention & detail...
I started thinking how I might not exactly be charging what I'm worth...
Pretty much all my cookies range from $2.75 - $3.00 a cookie...
Some of you are already saying OMG!  For a cookie?  That's outrageous!
But the attention to detail on each one takes much time...
From making the dough, to rolling it out & baking...
To the icing...coming up with each exact color & correct consistency once the icing is made...
Finally getting to the designing/decorating...
Then once it's dry...it's packaging time...
heat sealing it in a cello bag...adding ribbon if it is to be a favor...
wrapping it in bubble wrap to ensure safety...
nestling it in shred in the box...taking it to the post office...
See...it's way more than making a cookie...
I take great pride in the process of each one...
And then when I think you can go to a grocery store and get cookies that are not in the same league as mine and are charged way more...it gets me thinking...
Please don't get me wrong...I'm very grateful for my customers & orders...
And I am certainly not trying to be greedy...
I am just trying to think like a business owner (which is a new experience for me)...
Doing what matters...
image of What Matters Gold Art Print
I'm working to live not living to work...
Do you charge what you're worth?

images via
Whitney English
Emily Ley

2 comments:

  1. AMEN! I need to own this... both with my hobby of cookies that I sell so I can donate the proceeds to charity and my marketing consulting. I am going to print and post it, so I don't forget it. I am never "sorry", there are just times I feel I have to justify prices so I sell myself short.

    Selling cookies like the works of art you create is a difficult job -- very time consuming as well as hard on your back, neck, wrists, hands, eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a jewelry artist and I'm always getting told I'm selling myself short by close friends and family. Though I have the hardest time pricing my piece's between guilt and fear of rejection I guess you'd call it. But like you said with your cookies I too put all my heart into each piece no matter how big or small but I'm afraid others will think I'm either just plain crazy if I charge now than I am or they'll think I'm being greedy?! Pricing is the one thing about my jewelry business that I dread....any advice how to overcome this anyone?

    ReplyDelete